Lindos is rich in history.It is the most important archaeological site in Rhodes. Lindos is built around a hill crowned by the Acropolis. The Dorians, who migrated RHODES BUS SCHEDULE to Rhodes from the Region of Argos on the mainland of Greece, colonized Rhodes including the South East Aegean. The Dorians formed autonomous states, three of which were on Rhodes. The three states on Rhodes were Lindos, Ialyssos and Kamiros. Lindos, including the other two Dorian states, became the center of maritime trade around the 8th century B.C. and their economic development was swift. Lindos began to take a leading role in commerce between the East, Attica and Crete and Lindos surrounded by sea Lindos was also a sea-faring city. However, with the foundation and settlement of the City of Rhodes in 407-408 B.C. the financial and political prominence of Lindos began to diminish.
In the first half of the 6th century B.C. Lindos was ruled for forty years by Kleoboulos, one of the seven sages of the ancient era. During his rule he undertook important infrastructures such as the underground aqueduct dug through the mountain rock, and the Temple of Athena. The aqueduct was dug through the mountain rock located across the Acropolis. The locals call the area "Krana". The aqueduct which pours water continuously up to this day, was the only source of water supply for the village until a water public water distribution system was built in the 1970s. Apparently, the temple that we see today on the Acropolis was the one rebuilt in 342A.D. when the first burnt down. The present temple was built with the propylae, the monumental staircase and the Hellenistic stoa.
In 1307 the Knights of St. John seized Lindos. The Order of the Knights of St. John was founded as a charitable brotherhood in Jerusalem by merchants from Italy who were resident in the Holy City. In 1099 the Crusaders took Jerusalem and the Knights gained strength from the military and the Church. In 1187 the Knights were forced out, first to northern Palestine, and then they spent 18 years in Cyprus before moving to Rhodes. The Knights ruled Rhodes for 213 years and became a remarkable period in Rhodian history. Under the Knights command, great houses, churches and fortifications were built. Trade and prosperity were the order of the day. The wall or fortification of the Acropolis of Lindos as we see it today was built by the Knights of St. John during that period. The Knights lost their power on the island, after a long siege, to Suleiman the Magnificent in 1522. They were forced to leave and took up a new home on the island of Malta. An excavation on the Acropolis of Lindos was first carried out by the Danish | archaeologists K.F. Kinch and C. Blinkenberg between the years 1902 and 1905. Initial research was centered on the Temple of Athena and then on the Hellenistic Stoa. Numerous objects from the Acropolis of Lindos can now be found in the museums of Copenhagen and Istanbul. After 1905 restoration of the Acropolis remained untouched until the Italians occupied the island in 1912. A major research and restoration project of the Acropolis of Lindos was started in 1985 and funded by Greek Ministry of Culture and European Community. This restoration is ongoing today.
Lindos is one of the island's main tourist attractions. This picturesque village has captured the hearts of all who visit it. With its preserved medieval character crowned with an Acropolis, complete with an archaeological site and medieval fortifications, Lindos has been declared a national landmark. Walking through its narrow cobbled streets is like walking back in time. Many of the buildings have survived since the 15th century. No automobiles are allowed in the village streets and any upgrades to buildings must only be carried out with the approval of the responsible archaeological body. Lindos has many houses dated from the 16th, 17th and 18th century and known as "Captains" houses. The architecture and decoration of these houses is unique to Lindos. The Acropolis is approximately a triangular rock that is 166 meters high. From the Acropolis we have a wonderful view of the two natural harbours and the beaches. The largest and to the east of the Acropolis is called " Megalos Yialos"(Large sea) and the smaller to the west of the Acropolis is called "Ayios Pavlos"(St. Paul). The harbour is named after Saint Paul the Apostle who visited the area to spread Christianity to the Lindians.
If you are looking for a great beach, you don't have to look far. There is one large and one small sandy beach at the main harbour and another at Ayios Pavlos. Relax and enjoy the sun and the sea. The island is sunny eight months of the year. Weather forecasts are not needed.